Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day Three....

So today was a bit harder. I'll give you a recap since today was soo eventful.
I set my alarm for 5:30 only to push snooze for one hour and wake up at 6:30. Scold myself for sleeping too long and getting my running clothes on as soon as possible and literally ran out the door still trying to pull my running shoes on. So I went for a 3 mile run instead of my intended 4 miler. However, I did push myself and with the heat and humidity I figured missing one mile won't really change the plan too much. Then I got back showered, dressed ate breakfast and then read my Bible Genesis 3 today (we'll discuss my thoughts on this later). So after this I had to leave for my Telemetry test that I will admit I was rather anxious about. Lord willing he did a recap of everything that would be on the test so I only missed 6 out of 50. Not too bad a 88%. Not my best but somehow I keep getting my 1st and 2nd degree heart blocks always mixed up. But I passed!!
Then I left and had to get all my army e-mail situated with the guy since had yet to be set up and I honestly never logged on. But hopefully it will go through. I then headed back to the PACU where I work and I ate my lunch well most of it, since there had been ice that melted in the lettuce it was not as appetizing as one would hope. I did eat the fruit for my lunch instead of my snack since I never got a chance to eat my snack. I also got to meet my coworkers sons who were absolutely hilarious, we shared jokes. (one joke he told me "Why did the chicken cross the road?" My response, "I don't know why?" His response, "He had to pee!" Much laughter followed after this. ) Then I had my initial briefing at the PACU, which I think went just fine.
I gave myself 3 personal goals... 1. Was to Become more involved in my church here in SA with the youth. Lord willing that will happen. and 2. Was to Learn more about all the different types of surgeries that they do here as well as expectations and not expectations for each. My 3rd goal was to run a marathon. I then started work around 1300, which wasn't too bad since I actually got on the floor around noon.
I got a patient right away with my preceptor who was really awesome and basically let me land my own patient. I felt a lot of autonomy today which was great. My first patient decided to ask me if they gave them anything in the surgery that would make him excited. Not know what he meant I asked him if he was feeling anxious. He informed me that he was not anxious but that he had a "hard on." I tried desperately to keep my bearing but I am quite sure I may have chuckled just a bit he was 19. He then proceeded to tell me that there must be a rule about nurses that work here in this hospital because we are all pretty. He thinks there is a rule that no ugly nurses can work here. I just laughed that time and asked if the anesthesia was affecting him. I have to admit it does boost a girls self esteem when your patient tells you that you're pretty but slightly inappropriate.
Well, my other patient was less talkative, but just as interesting a case. His pain was almost uncontrollable. I thought for sure I was going to over medicate him. But in the long run we got his pain down and he was alright. Well, around 1800 I finally got my patient ready to leave out of the PACU and the nurse I was following told me that I could go home since I had been there since 0900, which I was quite pleased to here. After that I came home and ate my dinner watched a movie and now I am writing on here. That was my day. I think it was quite eventful. Would you agree?

So today I didn't get my snacks much but here is what I ate:
Breakfast- 1/2 c mixed berries with 3 poached egg whites
Lunch: 2 cuties, turkey burger and carrots and some strawberries from the edible creations.
Dinner: Salad (romaine lettuce and spinach) with feta cheese, carrots and cucumbers and a turkey burger and a hint of a balsamic vinaigrette.
Snack: Protein Shake.

To remark upon Genesis 3....
A favorite and yet probably the saddest book in the Bible. The fall of man. I can't but think when I read this Eve you idiot you're talking to a serpent! Then I turn to thoughts of come'on Adam man up and don't just blame it on Eve at least she had good intentions of desiring to be like God, Hey in some respects those are my own intentions in desiring to be like Jesus. There is so much packed in that little chapter it is amazing. Above all how sad the Lord must have been to have to know that man had sinned and how he tried to hide it from him. How sad the Lord must have been when he had to curse Adam and Eve, and most of all how sad He must have been when he had to drive them from the garden of Eden the place He had made especially for them. Lord I know I am not perfect, however, I pray that you keep me from doing something so awful that you have to drive me away from the beautiful place that you have made for me. Just in life thank you for all that you do. Above all else I am glad that you are a just God, but more than that I am glad that you are a merciful and loving God.

Well, after my evening snack and a good bedtime story like a little fun reading I am off to bed. Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment